Awesome Oslo

A couple of days of our Scandinavian adventure were spent in Oslo, Norway. I tried to explain to Jeff how beautiful Norway was before we got there, but I don't think he really comprehended it until he saw it for himself. There is something so majestic about the hillsides and the water, the old and new architecture together, that fantastic Northern sky that seems to go on for days. He gets it now, though. "Awesome Oslo," he says.

Recently my dad reconnected with his cousin Gro on Facebook. They had been good friends as children, but lost touch throughout the years. Facebook can be annoying at times, but it is seeing wonderful things like my dad and his cousin reuniting after 40 years that make me realize what a wonderful tool it can be as well!

Gro and her husband Morten live in a beautiful home in Oslo (with an amazing view!) and very graciously invited all of us over for lunch. Brave of them - there were seven of us and the trio of Anders, Nils, and Jeff alone can easily out-eat most crowds.

 My dad and Gro -    oslo fjord boat tour

The apartment and beautiful lunch spread -
  oslo fjord boat touroslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour

Even with how amazing that cake was, the real treat was after lunch when Gro and Morten took us on a private tour of the Oslo fjord in their speedboat! I'm now convinced that this is the true way to see Oslo. We zipped around, waving to little sailboats and big cruise ships alike. Our guides pointed out the beautiful Oslo landmarks, as well as took us around to see the beautiful water-side homes where the uber-wealthy live.
  oslo fjord boat tourHeaded down to the docks. oslo fjord boat tour
oslo fjord boat tour
Let's go!
oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour Here we have the King's boat! Let's get a closer look, shall we? oslo fjord boat tour Some of the crew was out on deck, and they waved to us as we zoomed by. oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour This neat building is the Oslo Opera house. oslo fjord boat tour And of course we all know that riding in a speedboat does crazy things to hair - see? oslo fjord boat tour My hair is crazy... oslo fjord boat tour Mom's hair is crazy... oslo fjord boat tour Nils's hair is cra-or wait, I think maybe he meant for it to look that way. Never mind.

 After seeing so many of the sights, we slowed down and enjoyed a drink or two while drifting along.

 "Solo" is a type of Norwegian soda, and has always been a favorite of mine. While growing up I loved going to visit my dad at work downtown, because if I was lucky he'd take me over to the Scandinavian Shop (sadly no longer there) to get a Solo in the afternoon. I hadn't had Solo in years, and this was the perfect setting to renew my love for it.
  oslo fjord boat touroslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour oslo fjord boat tour

A big "Thank you!" again to our wonderful hosts - oslo fjord boat tour

Labels: ,